Monday, September 2, 2019

Extra! Extra! Read All About Me!

Hi I am Maddie Robertson and this is me!

I have done many things over the years. I played on a tee ball team when I was little, I swam on a swim team for a few years, I started dancing when I was 3, I started drag racing in 2014, and I have taken aerial classes.

I am 3rd from top.
In 2013 my dance team had the opportunity to be a part of the Team USA dance team. We traveled to Germany to compete in the International Dance Organization dance competition against other countries such as, Germany, Russia, South Africa and many others. The trip cost was pretty expensive so while we worked very hard on our routine and made some changes, we also had some fundraisers. We had a car wash, doughnut sale, a hunted house, pizza night and dinner with the Goose Creek mayor.

All ready in our costumes! I am center
back, with white hat.  
When Thanksgiving came along, we were ready to go to Germany. We were in Riesa, which is in East Germany. The culture was very different from the Untied States. Many people kept to themselves and things were very quiet. At night very few people were out and not many things were open. Overall, the culture was very different and the people were much more reserved. The trip was such a great opportunity, we got to see many great historic sites and meet some nice people.


All of Team USA in one picture. I am 2nd row left end.
We got to perform our dance two times on the stage. We made it through the first round and we were able to compete in the second round. There was another team from Rhode Island and they had been to the competition before and we beat them. I believe we placed 2 places above them. This was very exciting for us because it was out first international dance competition.

This was a very big stage
just for the 7 of us.
Showing off the jackets! : )




When we got back from Germany we were able to take a little break from dancing so much over the past year to get ready for the competition.








During the spring of 2014 my family and I went to a race at Charlotte Motor Speedway where we had the opportunity to meet Steve Johnson, NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle driver.  He inspired me and this was when I wanted to start drag racing myself. While he drives on two wheels, I certainly like 4 wheels myself. My dad bought me a Junior Dragster. We started running at a few different tracks, Dorchester Dragway, Carolina Dragway, SC Motorplex and Darlington Dragway.

My first Junior Dragster!



In 2015, I was the track champion for Dorchester Dragway. The track is smaller with fewer competitors, but  it was still awesome to be champion at the end of my first full year competing.






Last weekend I finally got my first big win at Carolina Dragway, which was so amazing because it was my last points race before I move up to a big car. My dad and I cried some because it was an amazing experience and it was also one of my last races in this bracket.
First win at Carolina Dragway! Finally made it to Victory Lane!!

I have done so many things throughout my life, its kind of crazy but I guess that's what makes it fun!  : ) Can't wait to see what I do next!


No comments:

Post a Comment