Thursday, October 3, 2019

Second Trip to Second Presbyterian.




Second trip to Second Presbyterian!




Today I went back to Second Presbyterian Church of Charleston to take a closer look at the grave sites, however, the gates were locked. I was able to get some good pictures of the grave markers from the gate.













This time I was able to get a picture of the column where the plaster has come off of the brick. It is interesting that they covered over the brick to mimic a different style.









I saw a wide die on base grave marker that had some painted stones on it. The grave marker belongs to the King family, Samuel Blackwell King, his wife, Evelyn Robertson King, his daughter, Jennie King Moore, and his granddaughter, Caroline Shawn Burkard.

When I took a closer look to the birth and death years I noticed Caroline passed the same day she was born. It is very said when a newborn passes, they do not get to experience what life has to offer.



I always like to see what other family members will leave at the grave sites because even though it may not mean anything to you, the family know how much it means to them. These painted stones could be from their grandchildren as a way to express how they remember them today. I think it is a great way to honor our loved ones that have passed, it shows personal meaning.





According to findagrave.com, the Kings had a large influence in Charleston and Second Presbyterian.






As I looked further, I noticed there are several column and pedestal grave markers. I liked how they stood out from a distance, many smaller grave markers that are close to the grave can not be seen from a far distance like the columns and pedestals.





 To read more about the history of Second Presbyterian Church of Charleston, click here to view my post.



No comments:

Post a Comment